Times to remember

picture of H. P. Athayde and parents 1945So today is Veterans’ Day. And 60 years ago my grandfathers were living in a country only a month away from being attacked. The’d both end up fighting in a war with a definite enemy and a definite goal. My mom’s father had just gotten married and was off to work in a headquarters restaffing units with replacements (a repo-depot). My dad’s father (pictured right with my great grandparents in 1945 after returning from the war) ran off and joined the Army in the Signal Corps. He went in on D+6. He was the staff sergeant of his unit.

He tells lots of stories – none of which are about the combat he saw. Instead he talks about the fun times and the good friends. He talks about trying to ask for eggs by imitating a chicken. He talks about having to drop everything and high tail it back from the front because the army was retreating towards them. He talks about the jokes and the fun parts of it. They still get together every year. A few less each year. He’s now a great-grandfather. Age seems to be the enemy now.

And it’s Veterans’ Day. I can’t even find a flag at a store TO fly. Anyone know any good sites I can order one from? a nice big 5×7 canvas one preferably.

I digress. So to all of those who have served, I salute you. And to Kyle “Mr. X” Howard, wherever they’ve got you locked down at Fort Hood – stay safe dude.

1. cHRIS says:

I believe we have an extra.

I'll bring it down in a few weeks, if I can find it.

PS, do you mean D-day + 6 or E6? Judging by the sentence after, you mean an Enlisted guy, rank 6 - a Staff Sergeant, command E6 grade.

sorry - <a href="http://www.tesarta.com/www/resources/library/militaryrank.html" rel="nofollow">my source</a>

Well, he was both. He was a staff sergeant and he went into Europe on D+6, fought in the Battle of the Bulge and what not.

wow. We have no clue, do we?

6. kyle says:

ah yes the wonderful texas range.....

7. Gokul says:

Laurie - Thank you so much for sharing these Marcy. The pircutes are beautiful and believe me folks when I say this is just a very small sampling of what the photos were like Totally amazing!!! Thanks again for capturing Paul and Chels' day so beautifully.

8. Chayan says:

Congrats to your husband for a sufscsceul 5 years as a Shirt (as we USAF folks call them). My husband will be taking command of his first squadron in July (in the AF, that same type of command tour that Army company commanders have doesn't come to an AF member till he/she's an O-4 or O-5.) Anyhoo, I'm scared to death of what my kids are going to do. They don't sit still well to save their lives (unless there's a video game in front of them, I guess).