Accesibility

I just found a site while surfing Matt Haughey’s site. It’s all about being a good netizen with your log design. Not opening new windows especially.

Most of you who read and click know that I regularly use a target=“_blank” thing. Well, supposedly this is really bad. I know Jakob Nielsen would say that this site is a horrendous abuse of usability.

But does it bug you all? Would you rather it open in a new window or not? I’m quite intriqued. So, um, yeah. this is a poll.

Nope, doesn't bother me. So long as it isn't an unsolicited pop-up (i.e. it pops up when the page loads and not when I interface with the content of the page) I rather like pop-ups!

2. shep says:

i would just as soon NOT have another pop-up window appear. i've always been a strong believer in keeping everything (generally) on the same page, unless i'm doing research or something and need multiple windows available.

3. alissa says:

hmm...i rarely am on the web with only one window open. maybe it's multi-tasking kind of thing. i prefer a new window, usually, because if i want to further explore whatever you linked to, i can go back to your site easily to read the rest of the post/comment/whatnot.

i am a _target="blank" abuser - i usually use that on my site for links...

if jakob neilsen had his way all the time, the web would be a very boring (but very usable) place. :)

4. Waldo says:

You *know* I've lectured you about this. :) So here's the same tired speech, for the record: if you mandate pop-ups in your code, all users must view links in pop-ups. But if you leave target="_blank" alone, then all users continue to have the option to open links in a new window or in the same window. You can either force your browsing style down people's throats or give them a choice. You know which camp I'm in. :)

5. ron says:

open the new window, dammit. open it.

6. Hankins says:

I prefer sites that keep everything in one window. If a site pops links in new windows, I drag the link to the title bar or address field to open it into the same window. The exceptions: sites that have link after link after link. If I'm reading a links site like memepool, I go through the entire site hitting shift+click (or cmd-click) opening all the windows I want into new windows. I then close the main page. This leaves me with, say, 10 open windows, which I promptly close after reading whatever article/sites I've popped up. But in the case of a blog, one I read often, I drag to the top to keep it on one page.

7. torbot says:

I pretty much always open links in new windows just in case they *don't* pop up in a new window

Made Easier With My New Macally™ Two Button© Mouse!

I'm also use an abuser of the target_blank trick on my own site. mostly it's because I hate using the back button and having to wait for the page to reload (which happens even with cache turned on). however, I also find it usefull on my own site for, say, photo galleries - I like to pop those in a new window so the user can feel a bit more emersed in the gallery. Of course, I post a big warning for all to see that they will pop up in a new window.

So my 2¢ is, I use pop-up's and that's the way I likes it!

8. Neto says:

excellent, Bob. grab a cold one as my way of saying cotrnags . here's to many more years of B&R, enlightening discussion, boneheads and other things of the day, and a general increase in fan base. what has it felt like to still be creating an amazing legacy?