Bye Bye Spam

My spam intake was out of control. I was receiving about 500 messages a day, over 60% of which was spam, 20% of which was list mail, and the rest was actual mail to me. There were days where the spam was up around 80% of my daily intake. Apple Mail‘s built in junk filter simply wasn’t cutting it. It was missing most of the mail and catching good mail. That hurts the team. On top of that, the filter database became corrupted, causing numerous crashes of mail.app. Again. Bad Junk filter.

So in my plea to my various tech friends, .sara came back with a suggestion: SpamSieve. This has missed only one spam in a little over a week and has needed a bit of hand holding on accidentally classifying certain emails as spam, but it’s been great otherwise. My inbox is no longer a cluttered mess. I can breathe again. And at the end of the trial period, I think I might just buy it.

Combine that with SpamCop, and let the smackdown begin.

1. mark says:

DAMMIT boy!

give me something i can use for this pc-based hunk of shit....

2. cokey says:

I am one of the poor/cheap bastards who doesn't see the need to own both a home phone AND a cell phone, so in case of some late night emergency/booty call, I keep the cell on 24/7. Last week at 2:30 a.m. on a weekeday, my phone goes off. As I stumble half asleep to retrive the noisemaker I realize it's a text message. I thought my bro on the Left Coast might be drunk, but alas it turns out to be from GHTClysrex@verizon.net telling me how to lose 8 pounds in 30 days. Spam on cell phones....whatever will they think of next???? Anyone have a filter for that??!?!

marky mark:

Here's some <a href="http://email.about.com/cs/winspamreviews/tp/anti-spam.htm" rel="nofollow">recommendations</a> at about.com that Julian Zottl sent me when I was looking for stuff for my Dad.

Cokey - Spam on the cell phone? is this a verizon only thing? I think I might have seen something like this once, but damn. That's a whole new world. Anyone else have this problem?

Cokey -

Here is an article from the Washington Post about the <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51194-2004Mar11.html" rel="nofollow">FCC working to stop Cell phone spam</a>.

<blockquote>The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) today took its first steps toward banning spam that targets mobile phones and other wireless devices.

The FCC said it will ask the public to submit comments on the best ways to prevent the growth of mobile phone spam, a problem that is still uncommon in the United States though experts agree that it -- along with instant messaging spam -- is getting worse.</blockquote>

5. kolonay says:

Might I recommend you check out <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/" rel="nofollow">Mozilla's</a> fine email client offering (Or it's little, less bloated brother Thunderbird) for your Spam fighting, mail reading, IMAP friendly mail client? It uses that loveable Beysian filter that is so popular these days.

6. Nazri says:

Is anyone else still gniettg constant spam like this? Ever since that first bombardment of spam I have recieved a couple of dodgy emails on a daily basis but it's really stepped up again and today I've had several such messages. Anyone else? What can I do apart from get rid of comments?