Soon To Be in the 20001.

Pat, Jason, and I got the contract signed last night. We got a house. It’s an awesome place at New Jersey Ave and Q in Northwest D.C. We bought it from a very nice lady and her husband who have had it for the last few years.

We looked at a lot of places. We saw things that would almost qualify as drug houses. We saw things that were almost mansions (and had wonderful pocket doors, and really cool locations, and… and…). AT the end of the day, we found the perfect house for the three of us. Three equal bedrooms. Lots oh so lots of potential, but not so much potential that we have to gut the place.

It’s an odd feeling, buying a house. Just wrapping your head around the paperwork takes a lot of time. Without my background in design contracts, I would have been staring at the page blankly saying “um, what?” Even with said background, half of the things were me turning to our realtor asking for a translation. But it worked well, our structural engineer gave it the thumbs up, and everyone is stoked.

So, as of the end of May, I will be leaving 19 years as a Virginia resident behind me and become one of the residents of the “non-state” of Washington, D.C. I’ll have license plates that say “Taxation Without Representation” and I’ll be living in the most liberal voting block in the country. Not too shabby.

Send home depot gift cards.

Holy crap, you're a grown-up now!

So when's the open house? :)

2. Ryan says:

Well, I suppose this 86's the idea of moving to NYC. Congrats! Take some inside pictures!

Congrats!

4. Waldo Jaquith says:

Skinniest. House. Ever.

5. ron says:

NEW YORK DEMANDS A HUMAN SACRIFICE FOR THIS OUTRAGE!

but congrats, nonetheless ;)

6. daniel says:

congrats!!

are there virtual home depot gift cards or do you have an addy for a bit longer? (hint: i don't have your addy)

7. Scott (Cousin!) says:

SWEET!... KayLynn and I will have to make the trek out there soon to see the place!

hope all is well!

8. Juliana Athayde says:

Wow cuz, looks like you're a real adult now! The house looks great; at least you'll get some exercise going from one room to the next;) Hope to come visit you soon.

9. will schlick says:

Seriously, dude, when's the open house? Are you going to time it around a show at 9:30?

Open house wise, we're probably going to have a big party, hopefully with a new deck, sometime in August, as our birthdays are all within 10 days of each other. This simply means a week of a party, but there will be some kind of official "event" as it were.

We will be inviting the neighbors, lest we get the DCPD showing up repeatedly.

And yes, the houses are quite narrow there. R-4 minimum is 18 feet width. Pat Byrne measured it and said it was 13 feet, but that is probably because it was 105 years ago that it was built. We'll have a boundary survey done and the Pat and I will become quite comfortable with our CAD program documenting the piss out of the existng construction before we start planning anything new.

And as for New York, I love it, I just can't afford it. DC may be expensive, but you blow $50 walking out your door in NYC. One day, maybe. But not today. I will, however, come visit often. And blow kisses. And offer sacrifices (Ron).

Fun!

11. Waldo Jaquith says:

<i>R-4 minimum is 18 feet width. Pat Byrne measured it and said it was 13 feet, but that is probably because it was 105 years ago that it was built.</i>

Little known fact: People who are 6' tall would have been considered 8' giants 105 years ago.

Well then, sounds like we're giants, Waldo! Of course, you're taller (and thinner) than me. So that makes me the fat stupid one, right?

13. Pace says:

If everyone's girth was compared to Waldo's, I should have exploded in a fit of Wendy's-induced consumption pandelirium in 1997.

Hugz,
    Pace

14. sandi says:

What's up with the defalt justified????? You know better than that!!! :P

15. Auth says:

Excellent goods from you, man. I have take into account your stuff prior to and you are spmliy too magnificent. I actually like what you've received here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which by which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can't wait to read much more from you. That is actually a great web site.

16. Chaussures Nike Air Max 2013 Homme Cool Gris Volt Vert says:

If we are to take back our own country, we have to start making decisions for ourselves, and stop deferring to an ancient and outdated document.
    [url=http://www.theadvertisingnet.com/flags/Nike_Pas_Cher.asp?Chaussures=670]Chaussures Nike Air Max 2013 Homme Cool Gris Volt Vert[/url]